Women are powerful creators bringing change in the world. Women are actively taking up more leadership roles by defying all the odds and stereotypes and leaving behind the stereotypes. It has even been found that women make better and wiser decisions than men who hold the same position. Women’s leadership also aims to inspire change and bring diversity to the workplace. For instance, Sophie Cruz, Malala Yousafzai, and Marley Dias are some women leaders who have actively fought for the betterment and brought a change in society.
Women are also entering the industries which were predominated by men mostly. We can see women leadership and females scripting histories in technology, space, politics, and other fields. Irrespective of the age and background, women are breaking all the stereotypes and reducing bias. Women are making incredible progress and astonishing everyone in the world. However, women leaders face various challenges and barriers in their routine day-to-day basis.
Barriers to Women’s Leadership
Women today are better educated and try to take up different roles. However, they still get limited opportunities and representation, which often becomes a challenge for their progress. We often see women in leadership and management experimenting and breaking all the barriers. Let us understand some of the common obstacles women face in the sector.
1. Gender Biases and Stereotyping
Management often tends to believe that certain tasks are not suitable for women, which is one of the biggest professional challenges they face. However, it is necessary to change the narrative and understand that women can have the same enthusiasm. They exhibit the same level of energy and possess the same skills. Therefore, one should provide them with an equal opportunity and let them make progress in society. We shouldn’t think that women can’t do or a man could have done it better. These gender biases and stereotypical thinking is one of the most significant barriers to women’s leadership.
2. Limited access to networks
Women often face challenges because of the lack of network. Organizations should consider providing proper mentorship to women and helping them progress. Professional women often have limited contacts and networks, which hinder their growth opportunities. Moreover, there are also lesser women-oriented leadership groups that could provide them with the proper guidance.
3. Family responsibilities
We have seen men who are progressing and bringing a change in society. However, there are still stereotypes in society, to bound women and follow the restrictions. Professional women have to balance work and personal life, which often becomes a barrier to women’s leadership. They even have to leave an opportunity at times because of their family issues. Therefore, it is necessary to provide women with the proper support and help them progress in society.
4. Harassment and inequitable work environments
We have also seen cases where many women face inequitable behavior and are harassed. This limits their opportunities and stands as a barrier to their career. It is also one of the reasons that many females still don’t choose a career in fields that men primarily dominate.
Women Leadership: Opportunities
Women in leadership are still a minority if we look at the stats. However, it is necessary to understand that women’s leadership can influence and significantly change the business world. At WomELLE, we have featured multiple women who take up different roles while managing their families simultaneously.
It always gets exciting to see women making a move and leading the world. Thereby, it becomes necessary for society to provide them with the right opportunities and help them grow. Here are some of the ways through which society can help women make progress in this fast-paced world.
- Conduct Female Leadership Programs – Organizations should consider organizing female leadership programs to boost confidence and help women take the right step.
- Mentorship and Sponsorship Programs – Many women often find it challenging because they don’t get the proper guidance. Besides, they also face challenges because of the funding and sponsorship. Therefore, leaders should consider offering mentorship and sponsorship programs to women leadership. It will provide them with guidance and networks, which can be highly beneficial for their careers.
- Effective Communication – At times, women feel hesitant and don’t grab the opportunities. Therefore, it is necessary to guide them and communicate with them regarding their goals. The supervisors should consider reviewing their goals, current accomplishments, and future goals to help them guide the right path.
- Change specific policies – Many companies are making the progressive move and providing equal opportunities to both males and females. Whether it is childcare, paid family leave, or equal pay opportunities, it is necessary to take a second look at the policies. Amendments should be made to ensure that the policies create equal opportunities for every individual in society. Moreover, we should also have policies that allow women to create a healthy work-life balance.
When we talk about women’s leadership, we see women going beyond their fields. However, there are still various challenges and barriers they face. Therefore, it is necessary to provide them with the right opportunities and help them progress in the country. These are some of the effective ways through which we can encourage and support women.
Leave a Reply